<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

There is no honour in abstaining 


My Right suspects that the Labour party thinkers are still trying to find a way to get Tariana Turia and Nanaia Mahuta to abstain from, rather than vote against the proposed Seabed and Foreshore legislation - to save face and to save a by election. But with statements like the one below - is there any room for that? I have said before, that disagree with her as much as I might, if she falls on her sword I will certainly respect her for that.

There will be much wailing and nashing of teeth here if they 'politic' there way out of a stand so staunch;
"I have heard the consistent call in my electorate – from Tirau to Tawa - to oppose the Bill and put forward their views to my colleagues. I have advised the Prime Minister, as directed by my constituency, of the clear opposition to the Bill from the people of Te Tai Hauauru.

I believe that in putting forward this view, I have done nothing wrong. However I do accept the doctrine of collective Cabinet responsibility.

The caucus has today given me and Nanaia Mahuta leave not to support the legislation. I appreciate the respect the Prime Minister has shown us, and the sincere efforts she and senior Ministers have made to accommodate the diverse opinions within the caucus."

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com